The Council of State Governments (CSG) is excited to announce its inaugural CSG 20 Under 40 Leadership Award recipients. After receiving applications from esteemed and accomplished public leaders from across the country, Artemio "Ricky" Hernandez, Ph.D. – Deputy Executive Manager of the A.B. Won Pat International Airport Authority, Guam (GIAA) was one of 20 outstanding leaders selected for this honor. Each of the 20 elected and appointed award winners represent hard work and a dedication to public service.
"Having one of the airport's own represent Guam with this national award is a testament to not only Ricky and his leadership, but to the notion that good work here on Guam is just as impactful as elsewhere in the nation," stated Brian Bamba, GIAA Board Chairman. "On behalf of the Board of Directors of the GIAA, I want to express our congratulations to Ricky for this achievement."
"This distinction is awarded to only the most exceptional young leaders across the country," added John "JQ" Quinata, GIAA Executive Manager. "We are extremely proud of Dr. Hernandez and look forward to his continued service at the airport and for the people of Guam."
The CSG 20 Under 40 Leadership Award was created to recognize the outstanding work of up-and-coming elected and appointed officials —all under age 40 — from across the country who not only exemplify strong leadership skills but have also demonstrated a true commitment to serving the citizens of their state/territory.
"The state officials named to the inaugural class of The Council of State Governments 20 Under 40 Leadership Award recipients represent a broad cross section of the exceptional leaders that successfully govern our states," said David Adkins, CSG executive director/CEO. "Those recognized this year come from diverse backgrounds, different political parties, different branches of state government and from every region of our country, but they share a singular commitment to make a difference for those they serve."
"The Council of State Governments is a nonpartisan organization that brings state officials together to learn from each other and to craft solutions to today’s public policy challenges. The hard-working leaders recognized with the CSG 20 Under 40 Leadership Award have demonstrated the ability to productively collaborate to achieve consensus and produce results. While they may be young, their public service honors the oldest and best values of our democracy."
To learn more about the annual CSG 20 Under 40 Leadership Award, visit https://web.csg.org/20-40/
Congratulations to these 20 leaders:
- Sen. Sean Bowie, Arizona
- Rep. James Coleman, Majority Co-Whip, Colorado
- Rep. Sonya Harper, Illinois
- Rep. Samara Heavrin, Kentucky
- Deputy Executive Manager Artemio Ricardo Hernandez, Guam International Airport Authority, Guam
- Sen. Sara Howard, Nebraska
- Policy Director Gordon Larsen, Office of the Governor, Utah
- Rep. Ryan Mackenzie, Pennsylvania
- Rep. Ryan Martinez, Assistant Majority Whip, Oklahoma
- Rep. Lauren Matsumoto, Minority Floor Leader, Hawaii
- Sen. Jeremy Miller, Senate President, Minnesota
- Rep. Joe Moody, Speaker Pro Tempore, Texas
- Sen. Joe Nguyen, Washington
- Rep. Tram Nguyen, Massachusetts
- Sen. Emily Randall, Washington
- Rep. Dylan Roberts, Colorado
- Sen. Blake Tillery, Georgia
- Rep. Carlos Tobon, Deputy Majority Leader, Rhode Island
- Sen. Bryan Townsend, Majority Whip, Delaware
- Sen. Tony Vargas, Nebraska
About The Council of State Governments
Founded in 1933, The Council of State Governments is the nation’s only organization serving all three branches of state government. CSG is a region-based forum that fosters the exchange of insights and ideas to help state officials shape public policy. This offers unparalleled regional, national and international opportunities to network, develop leaders, collaborate and create problem-solving partnerships.